Happy New Year! It’s the beginning of a new year, and it’s the beginning of a new opportunity for you to re-evaluate your health and create a better version of you in 2017. So what can you do to become a healthier person in 2017? It may seem overwhelming to make all of these big changes, but you can actually make several little changes that will help.
1. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. This will allow you to get your heart rate up.
2. Pack healthy snacks for work. Try eating an apple or a granola bar.
3. Drink your fruits and veggies. Try healthy smoothies to get all the vitamins and minerals you need.
4. Park farther away from the door. Whether you are going to work or to the grocery store, if you park further away from the door, it will force you to walk more.
5. Incorporate several five-minute meditation sessions into your day.
6. Start a mindful relaxing activity like adult coloring books to incorporate meditation into your day.
7. Listen to audiobooks on your commute. Keep your brain sharp and read more by listening to a book when you are driving or riding public transportation.
8. Make it a goal to have one meaningful conversation/interaction in person every day. The internet and social media can often make us feel isolated and lead to unhealthy relationships.
9. Try a new form of exercise. Consider Zumba, yoga, swimming, water aerobics, hiking, etc.
10. Drink more water. Buy a water bottle you love.
11. Get good quality sleep by reserving your bed for sleep only and going to bed and waking up at the same time.
12. See your primary care physician at least once a year for a checkup.
13. Participate in some sort of walk for a charity or non-profit organization.
14. If you smoke, try substituting electronic cigarettes instead.
15. Do more puzzles to keep your mind sharp.
16. Do ten sit-ups every night before bed.
17. Bring celery and carrots with you to snack on at work.
18. Go exercising with a friend.
19. Try making one healthy substitution. Substitute water for soda, yogurt for ice cream, or celery for potato chips.
20. Try a new form of therapy like massage therapy, biofeedback therapy, or acupuncture therapy.